An upper gastrointestinal series must be performed in all patients with incomplete intestinal obstruction because management is different in each case.
In low intestinal obstruction, ultrasonography US may help differentiate between small bowel obstruction and colonic obstruction. In addition, US can help correctly identify meconium ileus and meconium peritonitis and is useful in the diagnosis of enteric duplication cysts.
CT Imaging of Large Bowel Wall Thickening
In malrotation and anorectal anomalies, computed tomography CT and magnetic resonance MR imaging can provide superb anatomic detail and added diagnostic specificity. Intestinal duplications manifest as an abdominal mass at radiography, contrast enema examination, or US. Affected patients frequently present with non-specific symptoms and often the first radiologic test that they undergo is computed tomography CT.
By virtue of its ability to directly image pathologic changes in the colon wall, serosa, surrounding mesentery and peritoneum, CT can provide crucial information for accurate diagnosis and prompt management. In patients with perianal fistulas, magnetic resonance imaging MRI is the preferred imaging technique, as the combination of high intrinsic contrast resolution and large field of view provides detailed information on the presence and extent of the disease. CT-colonography CTC is valuable for the detection of colorectal cancer and adenomatous polyps.
Unable to display preview.
Bowel Cancer Awareness Month - Qscan
Download preview PDF. Skip to main content.
- Fundamentals of Industrial Catalytic Processes, Second Edition.
- What are some common uses of the procedure?;
- Evaluation and Management of Intestinal Obstruction!
- Image Guided Cervical Nerve Root Sleeve Corticosteroid Injection.
- The Theatre and its Double;
- The Cambridge History of China: Volume 12, Republican China, 1912-1949, Part 1 (The Cambridge History of China).
- Critical Information Infrastructure Security: 6th International Workshop, CRITIS 2011, Lucerne, Switzerland, September 8-9, 2011, Revised Selected Papers!
Advertisement Hide. Authors Authors and affiliations R.
Bowel wall thickening at CT: simplifying the diagnosis
Gore J. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.
- Compassion: The Culture and Politics of an Emotion (Essays from the English Institute)!
- Quiz questions;
- Bowel cancer.
- Bowel wall thickening at CT: simplifying the diagnosis | Insights into Imaging | Full Text!
This is a preview of subscription content, log in to check access. Markose G, Ng CS, Freeman AH The impact of helical computed tomography on the diagnosis of unsuspected inflammatory bowel disease in the large bowel. Radiographics — PubMed Google Scholar.
click Halligan S, Stoker J Imaging fistula-in-ano.